The department of Recreation Centers provides diverse facilities and programs in order to positively impact the holistic well-being of the Liberty University community.
General Facility Rules and Regulations
- The Liberty Way must be followed at all times.
- All written rules and staff instruction must be obeyed at all times.
- You must present a valid Flames Pass or membership card plus government issued picture ID to enter the facilities.
- Members must use their own university-issued Flames Pass.
- No open air music allowed in any facility unless prior approval is obtained.
- Flyers/Bulletin Boards of any kind are not permitted in any Recreation Center facility unless prior approval is obtained.
- In order to respect the privacy of all users, still and video photography is not allowed in any of the facilities without prior approval. A request must be submitted to the Associate Director of Communications & Marketing and approved before still or video photography will be permitted.
- All users are expected to clean up after themselves.
- No soliciting.
- No animals other than service animals permitted within the facilities.
- Fighting, foul language or any other foul play, as determined by Recreation Centers staff, is prohibited and may result in membership or usage privileges being revoked.
- Refunds are not given, except for medical reasons at the discretion of Recreation Centers staff.
- Liberty University will not be held responsible for lost or stolen property.
- Liberty University will not take responsibility for injuries that may occur while using the facilities.
- Failure to comply with the rules listed is grounds for removal from the facility and can result in membership or usage privileges being revoked.
Recreation Centers offers a variety of opportunities for facility rental. Facility Request Forms are available on the website. All organizations must submit proof of insurance ($1,000,000 per incident) and name Liberty University additionally insured on the policy.
- Anyone interested in utilizing a Recreation Center facility should first fill out a Facility Request Form.
- Any requests for groups over 100 people must be made at least one month prior to the requested event.
- Events are not approved until you receive an email confirmation specifying the date and times of your event.
- Large events, or events after hours, may require departments/individuals to pay an additional fee for staff and operational needs. This will be determined by the Director of Recreation Centers.
- On occasion for large events, departments may be required to provide monitors to assist the Recreation Centers staff in the event that additional chaperones are needed. Monitors do not take the place of the LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center staff. Specialized personnel must be part of Recreation Centers staff (e.g., Lifeguards, Member Services, etc.)
- Any set-up needs for tables, chairs, sounds, etc. should be included on the Facility Request Form.
- Any changes in requests (including set-up needs, location, date/time) must be approved through the Recreation Centers staff and may result in additional charges.
- Cancellation of a large event (more than 100 people scheduled) without a 2 week notice will result in a charge to the individual or the department making the request.
- Advertising any activities/events before approval is at your own risk. Advertisements do not guarantee approval.
All Recreation Centers facilities are cleaned and maintained on a daily basis.
- All bathroom/locker room facilities as well as lounge areas are maintained by the University Facilities department. Check lists of times/items cleaned are available upon request.
- Fitness facilities are cleaned multiple times throughout the day. This includes but is not limited to: All Cardio Equipment, Weight Benches, Weight Stations, Aerobics Equipment, Balls, Mats, Group Exercise Studios and Loft Space.
- All on-campus Pools/Spas are checked and maintained daily. Chlorine and pH are recorded multiple times throughout the day. Check lists of times/items reviewed.
- All chemicals are stored and properly documented.
- Please report any area that appears disordered to Recreation Centers Member Services staff member
MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)
- Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) outline emergency actions that should be taken if an employee comes in contact with cleaning chemicals in a manner that is harmful. There is a MSDS for all cleaning chemicals that employees use regularly while on shift. Each sheet indicates the procedure that must be taken the chemicals come in contact with an employee’s mouth, skin, or lungs through inhalation.
- MSDS binders are located at the front desk of each facility with the exception of aquatics facilities where they are stored in the pump room.
Liberty University complies with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), which prohibits unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex in the University's programs and activities. Liberty University does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of sex in any of its education or employment programs and activities, nor does Liberty University tolerate sex discrimination or sexual harassment. The University prohibits sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual exploitation, stalking, intimate partner violence, and retaliation, which are harmful to the well-being of the University community and its members, the learning and working environment, and collegial relationships among students, faculty, and employees. The University will respond to reports of sex discrimination and sexual harassment with measures designed to eliminate such misconduct, prevent its recurrence, and remedy any adverse effects of the misconduct on individuals, members of the campus community, and University-related programs and activities.
Any student who believes that he/she has been the subject of sexual harassment, discrimination or assault in any form should immediately report the incident to the Title IX Office and/or LUPD. Students who would like assistance in contacting local authorities may request help from campus authorities.
For more information about Liberty University’s Title IX Office and Title IX-related policies, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Disciplinary Policy/Grievance Procedures for Members and Users
- All Recreation Centers staff members have been given the authority and responsibility to ensure a safe environment and to enforce the Liberty Way and Recreation Centers facility guidelines. This authority includes addressing members who are not complying with guidelines. Recreation Centers staff also may eject patrons whose behavior is deemed unsafe or disruptive to others.
- Upon direct contravention to any of the rules/regulations, a verbal and/or written warning will be granted to a first time offense unless a more serious consequence is deemed necessary by the Director (all incident reports are documented and kept on file). This may include turning the student into the Office of Community Life.
- After the same regulation has been broken or another issue has been addressed (whether through a verbal or written warning) a second written document will be recorded of the offense. This may include but is not limited to, turning the violation into the Office of Community Life, asking the individual to leave the facility for a period of time, and/or involving LUPD if deemed necessary.
- Repeat offenders who are addressed for multiple issues or the same issue multiple times can have their membership suspended or terminated at the discretion of the Recreation Centers staff.
- A membership or usage privileges can be revoked at any time if deemed necessary by Recreation Centers staff.
LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center
Memberships and Access
Resident Students with Valid Flames Pass: who have status as a RESIDENT STUDENT, are financially checked in for the upcoming semester, and pay the activity fee. In this case, the activity fees cover membership costs and resident students are not subject to these fees.
Liberty University Faculty and Staff: who are directly paid by the University are eligible for membership. Faculty/Staff will be asked to present their valid Flames Pass for verification when registering for membership.
Liberty University Online and Graduate Students: are eligible to purchase memberships during the times they are financially checked in and currently enrolled in classes. LUO/Grad students will be asked to present their valid Flames Pass for verification of class schedule and financial check-in status.
- Graduate students registered for the entire semester and LUO students registered for both B and D terms will be eligible to purchase Semester memberships.
- LUO/Graduate students are not eligible for “Annual” memberships.
- LUO/Grad students registered solely for either B or D terms will not be eligible to purchase semester memberships.
Alumni, Spouses, Community Members and Non-Affiliates: may be eligible for memberships in some facilities and during some time periods. Please visit https://www.liberty.edu/campusrec/reccenters/ for availability.
Recreation Centers reserves the right to refuse membership or access to any and all facilities to any individual for any reason. All students and members are required to present
a valid Flames Pass prior to entering the facilities. Any individuals with an "invalid card" will be denied access and directed to the
Card Services office.
- Memberships are sold individually and are valid for one person.
- Anyone under the age of 17 must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
- All fitness facilities are off limits to all those under 17 years of age.
- Guests who are younger than 17 may use the basketball courts, and soccer facilities ONLY if they are be accompanied by their parent/guardian.
- Children of any age may access the pool areas but children under 17 years of age must be accompanied by their parent/guardian at all times.
- All guests coming in to utilize the LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center or the Liberty Natatorium are required to pay a $5 daily membership fee. Any guest coming in to tour the facility without using any services may do so for free after proper completion of sign-in form. Any unpaid guests who claim to be only touring the facility, and are spotted using equipment will be immediately escorted out of the facility. All visitors are required to sign-in at the Member Services desk of the facility.
- Members who sponsor a guest will be responsible for the behavior of their guest. Any issue or disturbance created by a guest can result in consequences for the sponsoring member. These consequences include but are not limited to:
- Member’s account will be flagged and the privilege of sponsoring a guest will be revoked.
- Member may be banned for a determined amount of time.
- All Liberty University students and LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center members are permitted to sponsor up to two non-family member guests per day to accompany them into the facility. These guests will be required to pay a $5 daily membership fee. All guests are required to sign-in at the Member Services desk of the facility.
- All visitors must surrender a government issued picture ID at the Member Services desk when signing in. Visitors under the age of 17, who don’t have a valid picture ID, must be with someone who shows a valid ID.
- Visitors must enter the facility with their LU sponsor (student or member) and visitors under the age of 17 must stay with their sponsor at all times when in the facility. Visitors must also leave the facility with their LU sponsor.
- The minimum age for using fitness equipment is 17 years old (includes all fitness areas- weight room, cardio loft, multi-purpose rooms, and loft)
- The rock wall is available to visitors during specified times for special events.
- All general student recruits or potential students, who visit the University, should check in at the Hancock Visitor’s Center on campus. The Visitor’s Center will provide general student “recruits” and their families with a daily visitor pass permitting entrance to the LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center facilities at no charge. These passes may be used one time only and each visitor must have their own pass. All visitors are required to sign-in at the Member Services desk of the facility.
- Coaches requesting admittance of an Athletic Recruit must submit a request in email form prior to the recruit utilizing the facility. Coaches must appoint a fellow teammate as a “Sponsor”. Once the recruit is approved, an email will be sent to the coach verifying dates and times of approval. The recruit will be required to sign in and show ID. They must stay with their sponsor at all times and in approved designated areas.
*Exceptions to the Visitor Policy will be made for on campus visitation weekends such as CFAW, Homecoming, Alumni and Parents weekends. These exceptions will be determined by Recreation Centers staff and will be posted at the front desk of each facility. Please contact 434-592-3223 with any questions.
**Families of students or facility members are welcome to tour the facility at no charge at any time during normal operating hours. Touring families need to show ID and sign in**
- To create a safe environment for members, required dress should be worn in the LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center including:
- Non-marking, rubber-soled athletic-type/sport shoes are required. Footwear must completely cover the foot, including instep, toes, arch and heel. Footwear not permitted includes, but is not limited to, high-heeled shoes, spikes, open-toed shoes, turf shoes, cleats, boots, flip-flops, sandals and footwear that is muddy or dirty.
- Clothing that provides sufficient coverage to avoid direct skin contact with mats, benches, and other equipment to minimize the risk of contamination or infection. (i.e., Shirts covering the entire midsection of the body)
- Clothing that does not have exposed rivets, buttons, zippers, metal parts, or features likely to damage equipment
- The Liberty Way must be followed at all times
- Recreation Centers staff will address potential violations of these rules with facility users. Concerns about the rule or its enforcement may be addressed to email@example.com
General Facility Rules
- Only those individuals hired by Recreation Centers as a personal trainer may act as a personal trainer within LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center. It is left to the discretion of the Recreation Centers staff as to the intention of individuals who may/may not be instructing others. Personal Training is described as, but not limited to any of the following:
- To prescribe, monitor, and change an individual’s specific exercise program design in an exercise or sport setting
- To instruct or guide another individual(s) in performing an exercise routine
- The fitness facilities are intended for the personal use of students and members. They are not to be used for organized group sessions of any sort, with the exception of group exercise classes and group fitness training led by Recreation Centers employees.
- No items should be left unattended. Lockers are for day use only and all items must be removed when the individual leaves the facility that same day. All lockers will be cleared out at the end of each day.
- No food is permitted inside the facility.
- No weights may be dropped in the Training Loft.
- Equipment may not be reserved.
- Recreation Centers gives scheduling priority to the Intramural Sports Department and the courts are closed for recreational use at those times.
- The courts are for basketball, volleyball, and intramural use only. This excludes, but is not limited to, rollerblades, skateboards and bicycles.
- There is no sitting on the retaining wall. No personal items, drinks, food, etc. are to be placed on the wall.
- During intramural sports, only players on the roster will be permitted in the basketball court area.
- Games should be 5-on-5, unless there are vacant courts.
- Chewing gum is strictly prohibited in the basketball court areas.
- There are not to be any personal belongings on the basketball courts at any time. All personal belongings should be stored in the locker room facilities.
Cardio Loft/Basketball Mezzanine
- All audio and video equipment is controlled at the LaHaye Recreation and Fitness Center Member Services desk. Programming requests should be made to the attendant.
- The Liberty Way is in effect regarding the use of all embedded digital streaming services on cardio equipment (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) and failure to follow can result in disciplinary measures.
Group Exercise Studios
- The only rooms available for facility requests and general use are the Dance, Strength and Aerobic Studios. TRX, Cycling, and Mind/Body Studios are not available for facility requests and general use.
- No groups may use the studios unless a Facility Request form has been submitted and approved.
- Microphones and auxiliary cords are for instructor use only.
- Members may not enter a studio when a class is in session.
- All equipment must be cleaned and replaced after use.
- Groups may be liable to replace missing or broken equipment.
- Courts are available for general use during recreation hours only.
- Intramural Sports and physical education classes will have priority over general recreation.
- Courts cannot be reserved if playing alone, there must be 2 or more players to make a reservation.
- Proper attire and footwear are required. Shoes must be non-marking.
- Use of approved eye protection is required.
- Racquets must have plastic bumper and safety wrist strap.
- Racquetballs, handballs, and squash balls must to be non-marking.
- Any activity other than racquetball, handball, or squash must receive prior approval from Recreation Centers staff.
- Enter the track with caution.
- Appropriate, clean and dry athletic shoes must be worn. No spiked shoes, turf shoes, sandals, or open-toed shoes are permitted.
- Standing, horseplay, spectating, and/ or stretching are not permitted on the track lanes.
- Throwing or dropping items to or from the track is prohibited.
- Participants must use the track in the designated direction.
- Walkers use the inside lanes and runners use the outside lanes.
- No more than 2 runners or walkers side by side.
- The track is approx. 1/9th of a mile; therefore, approx. 9 laps in the center lane equals 1 mile.
- The capacity of the pool/spas must not exceed posted number of 70 people in the pool and 8 people per spa.
- Please check schedules/signage regularly as academic classes have priority scheduling during set hours.
- Swimming and use of the pool is restricted to times when Recreation Centers lifeguard is on duty.
- Chewing gum is prohibited in the pool and on the deck.
- No person with or suspected of having a communicable disease which could be transmitted through use of the pool shall be permitted to use the pool/spas
- A person with any area of exposed sub-epidermal tissue, open blisters, or cuts should not use the pool/spas.
- Approved swimming apparel, as listed in the Liberty Way, must be worn in the pool at all times.
- Any person using the pool must rinse off before using the pool.
- Spitting, spouting water from the mouth, and blowing the nose in the pool is prohibited.
- No running, boisterous or rough play is permitted in the pool, shower rooms, locker rooms, pool deck, on the diving board or starting blocks.
- The use of all electronic items within the pool/spa(s) is strictly prohibited.
- Glassware and similar material with a tendency to shatter on impact is not permitted in the Aquatic Center.
- Diving is only permitted where marked.
- Racing blocks may only be used by permission from the on-duty lifeguard.
- The use of skateboards, in–line skates, etc. are prohibited on the pool deck.
- Hanging or sitting on lane ropes is prohibited.
- Sitting on, standing on, jumping on, or throwing kickboards is prohibited.
- Lifesaving equipment must be used only in case of emergency.
Thomas Indoor Soccer Center
- Proper footwear must be worn at all times (tennis shoes, indoor shoes, etc.) No cleats or sandals are allowed at any time.
- No food, drinks, or gum should be taken on the fields at any time.
- No organized team or group is permitted to practice without proper authorization and documentation from Recreation Centers staff. There is no private instruction without prior permission from Recreation Centers staff.
- Do not use any items that can gouge, tear, rip or damage turf or boards including but not limited to; spikes of any kind, hard balls of any kind, sleds or hurdles, weight equipment, and bats.
- There is a limit of 125 participants in Rock Wall vicinity at any time.
- There is a limit of 5 climbers on tower route area at any given time.
- There is a limit of 15 climbers in bouldering area at any given time.
- Read area rules before engaging in any climbing activity.
- Personal shoes must be worn outside of the rock wall area.
- No rentals are permitted to leave rock wall area.