In order to qualify for academic amnesty, a student must have been academically suspended or academically dismissed from the University, as well as must satisfy the subsequent guidelines for readmission.
- Not enrolled at the University for a period of two (2) years. For example, if the student’s last enrollment was in the Fall 2018 term, he/she would not be eligible to appeal for Academic Amnesty until after the Fall 2020 term.
- A student seeking readmission under academic amnesty must first appeal in writing to the Registrar’s Office through the designated portal. The request must be stated clearly and contain: (1) the reason for the request, and (2) efforts made to improve during absence from Liberty.
- Corroboration may be requested of the student (e.g., transcripts from other institutions, certificates, awards, etc.).
- Students who were Academically Dismissed because of academic dishonesty are not eligible for Academic Amnesty.
The Registrar’s Office, upon receiving the written request, must receive approval from Community Life, Student Financial Services, and the Office of the Provost or the Office of the Online Provost before readmission will be granted.
- Previously earned grades of “A,” “B,” and “C” will remain on the student’s record and will calculate into his/her GPA. As determined by the Office of the Provost or the Office of the Online Provost, grades of “D” and “F” are revised to “Q.”
- Students who have been granted Academic Amnesty are not eligible for graduation honors.
- If any prior certificate or degree has been awarded through Liberty University, grades earned during that time period cannot be excluded when Academic Amnesty is applied. All grades earned toward a previously awarded certificate or conferred degree will remain on the student’s transcript.
- All previously assigned academic standings will not change, and will remain part of the student’s academic records for the respective terms for which they were earned.
If, after the first term of enrollment following readmission under Academic Amnesty, the student’s cumulative GPA falls below the minimum cumulative GPA required for good academic standing in the student’s degree program, the student will be Academically Dismissed, and will not be permitted to submit any further appeals for permission to continue his/her studies through Liberty University.
Date of Last Review